Board Meeting Minutes/January 31, 2014
The regular meeting of the Board of Directors’ of the Cincinnati Musicians’ Association was called to order on January 31, 2014 at 3:11 PM.
All members were present.
The minutes of the January 13, 2014 were approved as submitted.
GOOD STANDING FROM OTHER LOCALS
I. President’s Report
- The Constitution revisions were approved by a majority of the membership who voted.
- The current price list will expire in September of 2014. Paul Pillar will speak to the Board at a future meeting to discuss the price list.
- The Local will be absorbing $5 of the $10 dues increase.
- The Minnesota Orchestra will have their first concert this weekend. The Minnesota Local is still in need of financial support to assist them during the recovery. The musicians ended up with a 15% wage cut. Don Hurd motioned to donate $500 to the Minnesota Local. Joe Gaudio provided the second. The motion passed.
- President Paul Frankenfeld and Rebecca Andres met with CCO Board Chair Jennifer Funk and Michael Cioffi. The talks were productive. The next meeting has been scheduled for February 19, 2014.
- The pension issue has been straightened out and payments can be posted.
III. Ballet Recording
- Director Carmen DeLeone had requested a special demo price from the Local regarding the recording of the new ballet, King Arthur. Since it would need to be done under full SRLA all musicians would need to be paid whether or not they play the recording. The expense would be prohibitive.
- The CSO could not even provide a 3 minutes excerpt from an archival recording because the CSO is not signed onto the current IMA.
- There is a discussion beginning about the performance of Varese’s Amerique (1926). It requires an additional 43 players. It has been proposed to make this an educational project and include students from CCM. Baltimore did Rite of Spring in a similar fashion. Baltimore does not encourage the CSO to follow suit. It appears to be an end-run to avoid hiring extra players. The performance would be a part of the subscription season. That indicates that the performance really wouldn’t be ‘educational’. There may be a way to involve an educational component so discussion will continue.
- IMA negotiations were held in NY on Monday, January 27. The meeting began with a caucus. No real movement happened once all parties met. The next three meetings will be held in March, May, and June.
- The estate of Charles Yeiser left monies to CSO players that are still with the orchestra after the previous contract negotiations. The provision should include librarians but there has been some pushback. More information will be forthcoming.
- Due to the Polar Vortex the organization is trying to make arrangements for the Lollipop Concerts that were postponed.
I. Musicians Ball
- The date has been locked in for Friday, April 18. It will run from 7-11PM. Two bands will perform. Each band will play 2 sets. The Paul Wagner Orchestra and Paragon will be the two bands.
THE FOLLOWING VOUCHERS WERE ORDERED PAID:
See attached B 24473-24500
Next meeting scheduled for Monday, February 10 at 3PM.
Meeting adjourned at 4:20PM.