The regular meeting of the Board of Directors’ of the Cincinnati Musicians’ Association was called to order on March 17, 2014 at 3:39 PM.
All members were present.
The minutes of the February 24, 2014 were approved with the following revision: II. Rebecca Andres, Nat Chaiken and President Paul Frankenfeld met with Mike Cioffi and Jennifer Funk of the CCO Board. (Nat was unavailable and did not go to the meeting)
GOOD STANDING FROM OTHER LOCALS
Dr. Thomas Hyatt – trumpet 2/26/14
William Levi – saxophone, flute, clarinet, arranger 3/10/14
I. President’s Report
- President Frankenfeld reported that his trip to Chicago for IMA negotiations were not very productive. Tuesday included breakout sessions which seemed to produce some discussion that might result with some agreement. There was common ground when it came to patch sessions. The next set of negotiations will be held the first weekend in May. Paul will be unable to attend.
- Vice President Barb Lambert attended the CSO trumpet auditions in Paul’s absence. Matthew Ernst was selected. There was no alternate. Matthew is now subject to a week of playing with the orchestra. He will be performing with the concerts in conjunction with MusicNow. Barb was present for a total of 6.5 hours. Don Hurd presented a motion to reimburse Barb Lambert for the cost of one Board meeting, plus mileage, for time spent at the audition. Lou Lausche provided the second. The motion was approved.
- The CSO will be going ahead and holding auditions for 1-year appointments and will reprioritize the needed auditions. Three auditions for next year will be a) Associate principal percussion, b) 2nd trombone, c) 2nd Violin – one section and one to fill Cathy Jensen’s chair.
- The General Membership Meeting scheduled for March 31, 2014 at 7PM will focus on freelance musicians and we will recognize Richard Porotsky and Mark Cleghorn for 50 year memberships.
- Jennifer Funk addressed the CCO prior to its gala. She was very honest with the orchestra. However, she did not announce the Board plans to discuss restructuring to organization. There had been some discussion with Trey Devey that would allow the CSO to manage the CCO but the Board voted to remain autonomous and have made a commitment for the next 3-4 years.
- The organization is running a deficit but Paul is reminding them of the verbal agreement of a 5% increase on all services this year. He is also encouraging them to add a communication and planning committee that would include three musicians.
- No one wants to see the organization evolve into a pick-up group.
III. Musicians Ball
- Flyers and tickets are in the office. Lynne is beginning to sell tickets.
THE FOLLOWING VOUCHERS WERE ORDERED PAID:
See attached B 24533-24558
Next meeting scheduled for Monday, March 31 at 5:30PM followed by the Quarterly General Membership meeting at 7PM
Meeting adjourned at 5:15PM.